Monday, July 6, 2015

Wait For Me by Jo Huddleston

Can Julie, an only child raised with privilege and groomed for high society, and Robby, a coal miner’s son, escape the binds of their socioeconomic backgrounds? Set in a coal mining community in West Virginia in the 1950s, can their love survive their cultural boundaries? This is a tragically beautiful love story of a simple yet deep love between two soul mates, Robby and Julie. The American South’s rigid caste system and her mother demand that Julie chooses to marry an ambitious young man from a prominent and suitable family. Julie counters her mother’s stringent social rules with deception and secrets in order to keep Robby in her life. Can the couple break the shackles of polite society and spend their lives together? Will Julie’s mother ever accept Robby?





Biography
Jo Huddleston has written three traditionally published nonfiction books, AMEN AND GOOD MORNING, GOD and AMEN AND GOOD NIGHT, GOD (Tyndale House Publishers, 1993) and HIS AWESOME MAJESTY (Hendrickson Publishers, 1995). She completed the Caney Creek Series, a trilogy of sweet Southern historical romances traditionally published in 2012-2014: THAT SUMMER, BEYOND THE PAST, and CLAIMING PEACE. Her new release, WAIT FOR ME, is another traditionally published sweet Southern historical romance, Book 1 in the West Virginia Mountains Series.



My Thoughts

Robby and Julie love each other, but Julie's mother does not think that Robby is good enough for her. Will their love be enough? Can they show her parents that they are truly meant to be?
I really wanted this book to be a favorite of mine. I enjoyed the setting and the plot but there was something about it that I just didn't connect with. I sometimes got confused during the story because it would jump around in a weird way.and I felt as if I sometimes needed more information to follow the story properly. As I said before I loved the setting in a coal mining town in Virginia. I really enjoy rural and southern or country settings and this book was no different. I also enjoy the 1950's time period. The characters were believable and felt very really in my mind.  I identified well with Julie. A girl trying to please her parents and also be happy. I think for me this book was almost an awesome book but it just didn't hit home with me.
I hope to read other things by Jo and give her works another try.
I received this book through the publisher through the Book Club Network in exchange for my opinion. A positive review was not required.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. I love hearing from you!