Saturday, October 15, 2016

The Wish by Beverly Lewis

Leona Speicher got the "sister" she'd always dreamed of the day Gloria Gingerich and her family moved to Lancaster County Amish farmland. The Arkansas newcomers seem to be everything a devout Plain family should be, and Leona can't help comparing Gloria's engaging young parents to her own.

Leona's cousin shows a romantic interest in Gloria around the same time as Gloria's older brother expresses his fondness for Leona--it seems likely the two young women will marry into each other's families, remaining close friends for life. Thus, Leona is shocked when the Gingeriches suddenly pack up and disappear after being expelled from the church for reasons no one will discuss. Despite Leona's pleas, Gloria goes with them, leaving more than one broken heart behind.

When Gloria unexpectedly contacts Leona after a silence of several years, Leona makes up her mind to persuade her friend to return to Lancaster County and the Amish ways. Leona's fiancé, the deacon's son, is alarmed when Leona decides to go after Gloria. Will Leona's dearest wish lead to her own undoing?



Available @ Amazon as well as other retailers



Image result for beverly lewis
Beverly Marie Jones (Lewis) was born in the heart of Amish country—Lancaster, Pennsylvania. At the tender age of nine, she began writing short stories and poetry. Prior to that, she made up lyrics to the "little fingers" piano pieces she learned, at the age of five.
Beverly's first venture into adult fiction is the best-selling trilogy, The Heritage of Lancaster County, including The Shunning, a suspenseful saga of Katie Lapp, a young Amish woman drawn to the modern world by secrets from her past. The book is loosely based on the author's maternal grandmother, Ada Ranck Buchwalter, who left her Old Order Mennonite upbringing to marry a Bible College student. One Amish-country newspaper claimed Beverly's work to be "a primer on Lancaster County folklore" and offers "an insider's view of Amish life."
A member of the National League of American Pen Women, as well as a Distinguished Alumnus of Evangel University, Lewis has written over 80 books for children, youth, and adults, many of them award-winning. She and her husband, David, make their home in Colorado, where they enjoy hiking, biking, and spending time with their family. They are also avid musicians and fiction "book worms."


Here is what I thought......
I have enjoyed reading Beverly Lewis books in the past and was very excited to read this one. I have to say I was glad when I started the book and it was going a long at a decent pace, but all of the sudden it got really, really slow. I felt as if there was a lot of stuff added in just to make the book longer. I really liked the plot and the characters. I myself have a friend who I consider to be my sister so I felt right at home reading this story. I enjoyed the character of the grandfather. He reminded me of my own grandfather. I also really liked the cover. The models they used fit perfectly with the story.
Negatives- The slow pace after about the first 6 chapters.
The writing and dialogue was very simple. It was kind of choppy.
Overall this is a very simple read that I wouldn't mind my 11 year old reading. If you are looking for deep or suspenseful or exciting this isn't it. Still an enjoyable read just not what I was expecting from this author. I received this book from Bethany House for free. A positive review was not required. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. I love hearing from you!